Create the “Hollywood Glamour” Portrait by using a strip reflector. This vintage style evokes sophistication and mystery. One of the best ways to create mystery is by adding shadows and creating light that is not obvious. A strip reflector concentrates light into a smaller area and gently fades light off to the sides and certainly adds mystery and drama into because the face is not lit evenly or as I like to say, the main light is not obvious and there is a drastic light fall off where the reflector is not illuminating.
- Place your subject in a dark area with a background that shows light and shadow
- Set camera ISO high- 800 – 3200
- Use a low Fstop for shallow depth of field (2.8 or lower)
- Make sure shutter speed is above 1/50 to ensure sharp images
- Use a video light as backlight and reflect light into eyes of subject or
- Use a video light directed at strip reflector and bounce light onto subject
Scott Robert 6″ Strip Reflector
Lightweight and portable, weighs just a few ounces, front- sliver, back- gold. Easily fits into your favorite camera bag!